Michelle D. Frank, PsyD
Michelle Frank, PsyD, takes an active, compassionate, and strengths-forward approach to help clients experience growth and healing. She specializes in working with individuals (teens and adults) and partners/couples impacted by ADHD and a wide range of challenges, including infidelity, emotional disconnection, conflict management difficulties, and the transition to parenthood.
Dr. Frank’s approach to therapy integrates empirically validated interventions such as CBT, mindfulness practices, and Gottman Method relationship work. She believes in the power of story, shared laughter, time spent in nature, creativity, community, and the mind-body connection to deepen healing. She enjoys infusing laughter whenever it meets the moment and is always open to integrating expressive therapies such as art, writing, or music if a client is so inclined.
Within individual work, Dr. Frank honors neurodivergence and strives to help clients do the same while also exploring tangible ways to support the unique challenges inherent in living with ADHD and other facets of neurodiversity. Her work traverses two paths: supporting ADHD and/or other mental health symptoms with a robust toolkit of coping skills, on the one hand, and doing a deeper dive into the often-unseen aspects of ADHD and neurodivergent life such as challenges with self-concept, shame spirals, emotion management, relationship patterns, communication of needs, and more, on the other.
In addition to working with ADHD, Dr. Frank enjoys working with young adults, creatives, athletes, and professionals navigating stress, life transitions, perfectionism, relational challenges, and points of “stuckness.” In general, her focus is on supporting clients in becoming more authentically themselves, with a deeper connection to mind, body, relationships, and the world around them.
Dr. Frank views the therapy space as a “co-creation,” where the client’s identities and life experiences are centered with care and therapeutic goals are identified, pursued, and evaluated together over time. She integrates cognitive behavioral therapy techniques (including ACT – Acceptance and Commitment Therapy) with mindfulness-based interventions through a humanistic lens.
Within the partner/couple space, Dr. Frank practices Gottman Method Therapy with couples/partners, which emphasizes research-based interventions to improve relationships. Dr. Frank utilizes expertise in ADHD that makes her an excellent fit for partners navigating its complexity. In addition, her approach to relationship therapy has a great deal of breadth and depth, and she often works with partners/couples not impacted by issues related to neurodiversity but who want to improve their emotional intimacy, manage their conflict, navigate a life transition together, increase relationship satisfaction, improve communication patterns, and deepen sexual intimacy, or rebuild trust.
Dr. Frank’s style is both direct and warm. She seeks to balance and explore the individual perspectives of each partner while simultaneously centering the relationship between them as the focus of therapy.
Dr. Frank is the co-author of A Radical Guide for Women with ADHD: Embrace Neurodiversity, Love Boldly, and Break Through Barriers, written in collaboration with Sari Solden. She is a graduate of The Chicago School of Professional Psychology and Marquette University.
Professional Education and Clinical Training:
- Completed all three levels of Gottman Method training
Books & Chapters:
- Solden, S. & Frank, M. (7/1/2019). A Radical Guide for Women with ADHD: Embrace neurodiversity, live boldly, and break through barriers. New Harbinger: Oakland, CA. https://www.amazon.com/Radical-Guide-Women-ADHD-Neurodiversity/dp/168403261X
Recent Blog Posts & Online Articles:
- Frank, M. 2021. The ADHD-Trauma Link: What You Should Know. ADDitude Magazine online. https://www.additudemag.com/traumatic-stress-adhd-diagnostic-key-facts/
- Frank, M. (5/22/2019). Moving Beyond “I Can’t”: ADHD Friendly Ways to Overcome Procrastination without Shame. The Women’s Neurodiversity Project for Psychology Today. https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/the-women-s-neurodiversity-project/201905/moving-beyond-i-cant
- Why Are So Many Adults Being Diagnosed With ADHD? A very thorough investigation into this “trend.” https://www.wondermind.com/article/adhd-diagnosis/
- 11 Organization Tips That People With ADHD Swear By. Did your life just get easier? Yes, yes it did. https://www.wondermind.com/article/adhd-organization/
- Here’s What ADHD Actually Is (and Isn’t). There’s a lot more to it than what you’ve seen on your FYP. https://www.wondermind.com/article/what-is-adhd/
- Frank, M. (2021). ADHD & Relationship Success: Gottman’s 4 Horsemen and Their Antidotes Through an ADHD Lens ADHD[Webinar]. Women’s Palooza. https://adhdpalooza.com/product/adhd-relationships-gottman-method/
- Frank, M. (May, 2020). “I Thought I’d Be More Productive”: Why Women with ADHD are Struggling While Staying at Home [Webinar]. ADDitude Experts Webinar Series.https://www.additudemag.com/webinar/women-with-adhd-quarantine-podcast-305/
- Frank, M. (April 15, 2020) Coping with Stress in Uncertain Times [Webinar].The Attention Deficit Disorder Association (ADDA). https://add.org/product/webinar-coping-with-stress-in-uncertain-times/
- Frank, M. (August 7, 2019). Emotional Intimacy and Women with ADHD: Why It’s So Hard and What To Do About It [Webinar].The Attention Deficit Disorder Association (ADDA). https://add.org/product/webinar-emotional-intimacy-and-women-with-adhd-why-its-so-hard-and-what-to-do-about-it/
- Frank, M. (June 25, 2019). Beyond Shame and Guilt: Transformative Strategies for Women with ADHD [Webinar]. ADDitude ADHD Expert Webinar Series. https://www.additudemag.com/webinar/adhd-women-emotions-strategies/
- Frank, M. (July 16, 2019). Breaking Through Barriers: How Women with ADHD Can Overcome Shame and Self-Limitation [Webinar]. Succeed with ADHD Telesummit. https://www.succeedwithadhdtelesummit.com/
- Frank, M. (July, 2019). A Radical Approach for Treating Women with ADHD: Part II [Webinar]. ADHD Women’s Palooza. https://adhdpalooza.com/product/radical-approach-to-treating-adhd-women-part-2-michelle-frank/
RECENT PODCAST APPEARANCES
- Kinzer, N. & Wright, P. (August, 2021). The Gottman method for couples: Relationships & ADHD with Dr. Michelle Frank (No. 2301) [Audio podcast episode]. In Taking Control: The ADHD Podcast. Take Control ADHD. https://takecontroladhd.com/podcast/2301
- Kinzer, N. & Wright, P. (October, 2020). Inattentive ADHD and misdiagnosis (No. 452) [Audio podcast episode]. In Taking Control: The ADHD Podcast. Take Control ADHD. https://takecontroladhd.com/podcast/452
- Burgess, G. & Dicker, M. (October, 2020). Thriving with ADHD with Dr. Michelle Frank (No. 43) [Audio podcast episode]. In Semi-Together. Semi-Together. https://open.spotify.com/episode/2XSXChk6ZwAAu0xlWrR8wl
- Espiritu, K. (June 2, 2020). Mindfulness gardening [Audio podcast episode]. In Epic Gardening Podcast: Daily Tips and Advice. Epic Gardening. https://epicgardening.libsyn.com/mindfulness-gardening
- Espiritu, K. (June 1, 2020). Benefits of gardening on mental health. [Audio podcast episode]. In Epic Gardening Podcast: Daily Tips and Advice. Epic Gardening. https://epicgardening.libsyn.com/benefits-of-gardening-on-mental-health
- (May, 2020). “I thought I’d be more productive”: Why women with ADHD are struggling while staying at home (No. 305) [Audio podcast episode]. In ADDitude Experts Podcast. ADDitudemag.com
- Kinzer, N. & Wright, P. (May, 2020). Comparison, Guilt, & Shame: Lessons in ADHD relativism with Dr. Michelle Frank (No. 436) [Audio podcast episode]. In Taking Control: The ADHD Podcast. Take Control ADHD. https://takecontroladhd.com/podcast/436
- Fischer, A. (May 2020). ADHD decoded: An intro into the ADHD Brain with Dr. Michelle Frank (No. 1) [Audio podcast episode]. In ADHD Decoded. Kaleidoscope Society. https://www.kaleidoscopesociety.com/adhd-decoded-episode-1/
- Frank, M. ( May, 2020). All the Feels: ADHD and Emotion (No. 3) [Audio podcast episode]. In ADHD Decoded. Kaleidoscope Society. https://www.kaleidoscopesociety.com/adhd-decoded-episode-3/
- Kinzer, N. & Wright, P. (June, 2019). Shame, relationships, and ADHD as an exercise in getting back on the horse with Dr. Michelle Frank (No. 394) [Audio podcast episode]. In Taking Control: The ADHD Podcast. Take Control ADHD. https://takecontroladhd.com/podcast/394
- Lewis, L. (July 2, 2019). It’s not just about ADHD, it’s about your life (No. 313) [Audio podcast episode]. In See in ADHD with Liz Lewis. See in ADHD. https://www.listennotes.com/podcasts/see-in-adhd-see-in-adhd-with-liz-lewis-T0KMrXboZ2g/
INTERVIEWS FOR ONLINE PUBLICATIONS
- Venable, M. (3/20/21). The Pandemic Forced Me to Face my ADHD.com. https://www.shondaland.com/live/body/a35966818/the-pandemic-forced-me-to-face-my-adhd/
- Melander, R. (7/9/19). Writers@Work: An Interview with the authors of A Radical Guide for Women with ADHD. Writers@Work. https://writenowcoach.com/interview-with-the-authors-of-women-with-adhd/
- Schwabb, P. (10/11/17). Women Connect & Unite: An Interview with Michelle Frank. The ADDA Insider. https://add.org/women-unite/
- Mackenzie, M. (1/24/18). Why Doctors are Diagnosing More Women with ADHD. com. https://www.shape.com/lifestyle/mind-and-body/signs-symptoms-adhd-women
- Wheeler, R. B. (2017). Adult ADHD: Find the Right Therapy.com. https://www.webmd.com/add-adhd/features/adult-adhd-therapy-finding-right-therapy
- Anderson, J. (1/19/16). Decades of Failing to Recognize ADHD in Girls has Created a Lost Generation of Women. Quartz.com. https://qz.com/592364/decades-of-failing-to-recognize-adhd-in-girls-has-created-a-lost-generation-of-women/
- Anderson, J. (3/8/16). What’s causing ADHD to Skyrocket in Kids?com. https://qz.com/633688/whats-causing-adhd-to-skyrocket-in-kids/
- Giordano, R. (11/20/16). ADHD in Women: A lifetime of frustration, its cause easily missed. Philly.com. https://www.inquirer.com/philly/health/womenshealth/20161120_ADHD_in_women__A_lifetime_of_frustration__its_cause_easily_missed.html
- Welch, C. (5/16). When Boys with ADHD Become Men with ADHD. Health Magazine.health.com